From Friends, Season 2, Episode 16
The One Where Joey Moves Out
One of my favorite moments of this show,
that "hits me in the feels", every time!

It appears that I brought back a lovely little bug from camp, and ended up spending Tuesday in bed, sleeping off and on throughout the day. Being without a voice, I have taken many opportunities to read and write. After finishing Shauna Niequist's Bread & Wine, I noticed that she had written another book entitled Bittersweet: Thoughts on Change, Grace, and Learning the Hard Way. Let me tell you, I know that Shauna Niequist did not write this book specifically for me; but oh, how God is using her writing to minister to my heart, as I've begun this season of "lasts", here in Oklahoma. This particular passage, from her chapter, The Closer You Get, is really speaking to me: 

"How many nights did we spend on Annette's upstairs porch, watching the light fade, listening to the barking dogs in the distance? How many times did we go to the Real Food Café? And how many times did she order her toast dry, and then ask for butter? How many late nights in South Haven or Saugatuck, how many mornings at Uncommon Grounds? How many times did we deliver dinner back and forth, or maternity clothes or baby clothes or maybe-it-will-fit-you-but-it-doesn't-fit-me clothes? How many times did we walk back and forth from Paris, along Hoyt, across Madison, and over to Aurora?

Of all the things, of all the thousands of memories and snapshots of our lives together, from college to trips to weddings to the last three years in Grand Rapids, there is one thing that rises above everything else like a siren, like a smoke signal. It's this: the closer you get, the closer you get. I didn't always know how to open myself deeply. Moving to Grand Rapids, a town that was tricky for me for all sorts of reasons, and the fear and the loneliness of it, snapped my heart shut like a drum.

And then Annette and Andrew moved across the country and into our neighborhood and day by day, phone call by phone call, breakfast by breakfast, Annette taught me that the closer you get, the closer you get. That when you allow someone past all those doors you were taught to keep closed, what you find behind those doors is a kind of friendship I didn't even have a category for. I've spent most of my life and most of my friendships holding my breath and hoping that when people get close enough they won't leave, and fearing that it's a matter of time before they figure me out and go.

And every time I told Annette the truth, or asked for something difficult, or opened a scary conversation, when I thought she would back away, she walked forward. And by walking forward, she changed me, and now, everywhere I go, everywhere life takes me, I'll be looking for this, for this kind of friendship that my dear friend Annette taught me." 

I read those words, and I let them sink for a second. And then I felt the emotion come to the surface. The thought of those goodbyes. Those last hugs shared with friends like this, friends who have helped me to open my heart, to get closer, to share the deeper recesses of my heart, to risk, and to discover that they didn't leave when I did. I felt my breath leave my body for a moment. I didn't want to feel that, and yet, I knew that it was necessary to feel those things. With the ending of this season comes a bit of grieving, and being a person who spent so much of her life stifling the tough emotions that she didn't want to deal with, I have to allow myself to grieve the changing of these beautiful friendships I've made in Arkansas and Oklahoma. Not ending. Just changing, with some distance in between us.   

But it's hard. It's so very, very hard. It's easy to feel the good emotions, the joy, the excitement, although I even struggled with feeling those. But the joy, the excitement of being with my family again? I'm getting used to feeling those feelings. And it's good. 

But lately, I've struggled to feel the harder emotions. Surprisingly, I've not wanted people to express how much they're going to miss me. You know something? It just might be that, if I allow people to express those feelings, and if I feel them right alongside of them, it becomes real. With just four months to go before I move back to Canada, it has to become real. 

Being an INFJ (Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging - Sometimes the Judging changes to Perceiving), I'm a person who feels emotions extremely deeply, and if I stay in my emotions too long, it becomes unhealthy, and I don't move on. But, on the flipside, if I go to the other extreme, and I don't feel emotions at all, it becomes equally unhealthy for me. I find other things to help distract me from working through the tough stuff, the "what ifs", the tears, the anger, the grieving. If I'm honest, that's what got me into trouble with my eating, or overeating, rather. I'm now learning how to cope with these emotions in a healthy way. It's not perfect, just yet, but I'm making imperfect progress, as I've heard many say. 

So, for the moment? I press on. I trust God to show me how to feel these emotions without dwelling and becoming too comfortable in them. When I start to think about those so very dear to my heart, here in Arkansas and Oklahoma, whom I will soon be separated from by distance, think about embracing them for the last time for a long time, I pray that I will let the knot in my stomach come, the very real ache in my heart sting, and that I let the tears come. I pray that I will feel those emotions for a moment, acknowledge them, realize that this is part of my journey, and that it shall pass. Then, I pray that I shall move on, and remain present in my ministry, in my moving preparations, and in my day-to-day life, throughout these next four months. 

Pray for me. While I have a beautiful support system gathered around me during this season, there are some moments that I need to walk through alone, at least on earth. 

Father, help me to remember that You walk beside me, that You see each tear that falls, hear every sob from my throat, feel every knot in my stomach and ache in my heart. Remind me, often, that You are with me. 

Blessings.
1 Response
  1. I now know why we walk in tune so much. It is that INFJ (that sometimes changes to a P) That is ME! And now I sit here in tears again..........