This past Friday morning, I was getting ready to go to work. I set my coffee cup on the roof of my car, as I loaded my bags. Distracted by something in my car, I forgot the cup, climbed in, started my car and drove off. It wasn't until I pulled away from the apartment complex, about 100 yards down the drive, that my stomach wrenched, as I reached for my coffee cup that was not in its usual spot, in the cupholder, next to my emergency brake. It hit me: the cup is still on the roof of my car, or, at least I HOPE it's still there!
I pulled my car to a stop, bracing myself for the possible scene of shards of my beloved coffee cup and sweet nectar of coffee all over the ground. I was shocked and delighted, as I hopped out of my car and saw the cup, still filled with coffee, sitting on the roof of my car. Amazing!
It's funny how we care so deeply for the little things in our day-to-day life. I was reminded by my Corps Officer, Major Paul, last week, of how much God cares for us, and that He wants us to seek Him, in prayer, even for the small things that may seem insignificant to us.
Now, would I have survived the loss of a coffee cup? Of course. But the thing is, God used that as a perfect opportunity to remind me of how He provides. Seeing that coffee cup resting unscathed on the roof of my car reminded me of the extent of God's provision, from the incredibly huge to the incredibly small. I was taken directly to Matthew 6:25-34:
“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."
As I continue to make steps toward my home and native land, and as I disturb the familiar by venturing to the unfamiliar, I must trust my Heavenly Father to provide, as I walk in obedience. Little things like a spared coffee cup remind me that He can be trusted. As the song says, "O, for grace to trust Him more!"
So onward I venture, one obedient step at a time. Please keep me in your prayers, as I do so.
Blessings.

