I hope to one day have a print with this quote
by Anaïs Nin, to hang on my wall.
I am so thankful for the person
who gave me these words of wisdom to cling to.
by Anaïs Nin, to hang on my wall.
I am so thankful for the person
who gave me these words of wisdom to cling to.
Today has been a day where God has spoken to me in so many ways, through different people, and when I come to put "pen to paper," it feels as though a million ideas are running through my head. So dear reader, stick with me. This post may take a couple of turns!
Lately, I've been thinking a lot about letting go, and embracing the change that is about to happen in, now, 50 sleeps. If I'm honest, I've had a really hard time with embracing the anticipated change, and today, I discovered part of why I'm experiencing this hesitancy. I'm fearful of what is unknown. Right now, I know the familiarity and the comfort of where I am, right here, and right now. I have a beautiful support system of loving people, a loving church family. I'm seeking out counsel and support for many personal challenges that I'm facing head-on.
But today, I was challenged to think of the unfamiliar that I'm about to face in a different way. I have always seen the unfamiliar as scary. Unknown. When I think of unfamiliar things, skills I've never tried, even foods I've never tried, the association has always been negative. Today, I was challenged to consider the possibility that there could be a positive association with the unfamiliar. Can you believe it? I've never been able to make that kind of association with the unfamiliar. Could it be, could it possibly be, that there could be an excitement that comes with the unfamiliar and the unknown? Could it be that there are more opportunities for further growth, more opportunities for deeper support systems to develop, more opportunities for new and beautiful relationships, more opportunities for ministry, that come with this next unfamiliar step, as I journey back home?
What's really beautiful, and maybe even a little uneasy to me - because it is a bit foreign to me - is that I get to choose, even purpose (as a dear friend once put it) to anticipate this next chapter with excitement and joy, rather than fear and dread. It doesn't mean that I'll never feel fear or perhaps even dread when I think about having to start fresh in a new chapter...but I don't have to stay there. I can choose. I can purpose to look ahead with anticipation and wide-eyed wonder at just what God has in store around the corner.
Oh, but friends, I can't do this in my own power. This type of purposing is not something I can do in my own power, at all. I need the help of my Abba. I need to stay so very close to Him. As I will be teaching my kids this week in our Summer School of Music, I need the Lord to "tune my ears to hear His Voice."
Today, as I was driving to an appointment, I was listening to a devotional on this fab little prayer app that my friend recommended I try. The Scripture discussed was Matthew 10:1-7:
Jesus called his twelve disciples together and gave them authority to cast out evil spirits and to heal every kind of disease and illness. Here are the names of the twelve apostles:
first, Simon (also called Peter),
then Andrew (Peter’s brother),
James (son of Zebedee),
John (James’s brother),
Philip,
Bartholomew,
Thomas,
Matthew (the tax collector),
James (son of Alphaeus),
Thaddaeus,
Simon (the zealot),
Judas Iscariot (who later betrayed him).
then Andrew (Peter’s brother),
James (son of Zebedee),
John (James’s brother),
Philip,
Bartholomew,
Thomas,
Matthew (the tax collector),
James (son of Alphaeus),
Thaddaeus,
Simon (the zealot),
Judas Iscariot (who later betrayed him).
Jesus sent out the twelve apostles with these instructions: “Don’t go to the Gentiles or the Samaritans, but only to the people of Israel—God’s lost sheep. Go and announce to them that the Kingdom of Heaven is near.
The speaker asked the listener to consider what it is like to hear people dear to you call your name. I was then prompted to meditate on how it would feel to hear our Savior call our name. I had never really considered that, before, because I've never actually heard God speak to me in an audible voice. But when I thought about how it would feel to hear Him call me by name...there is something about that that absolutely stirs my soul, and makes me want to sit at His feet. Because, when He calls my name, Scripture tells us in Isaiah 43:1 that God says, "...you are mine." I will need to sit with that, just a little longer. But I will go on. The speaker then encouraged the listener to take a moment, and listen for just what God may be calling us to. So I asked Him, "God, what are You calling me to, right here, right now?" The answer was simply one word: Abide.
I shook my head for a second, and thought, "O...kay? What on earth does that mean?"
I did what I've been doing a lot of lately: I went to my dictionary and looked up the word Abide. And if you're silently judging me for having to look it up, right now, go ahead and give me a definition, off the top of your head...Uh-huh. That's what I thought. Not as easy as we thought it was.
So, abide is defined this way: "To accept or bear; to stay or live somewhere; to remain or continue."
But there's a little more to this definition: "To wait for; to endure without yielding; to bear patiently; to accept without objection."
And the one which really grabbed my attention: "To acquiesce in (submit, comply or accept)."
That very simple word has so much meaning for me. See, abiding, for me, is so much more than remaining, or enduring without yielding, or bearing patiently; for me, abiding means submitting, accepting without objection.
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways, submit to him, and he will make your paths straight." -Proverbs 3:5-6
For me, abiding involves my ears and heart being tuned to hear God's Voice, and staying close to His heart and mind through the reading of His Word, and through communication with Him through prayer. This type of abiding will allow me to hear when He is speaking, when He is calling my name, and when He tells me what to do next, when to take the next step, I can respond by doing just that, nothing more, and certainly nothing less. I can disrupt the familiar, and I can walk forward into the unfamiliar, not with fear and dread, but with anticipation and joy, because I am confident that my Savior is leading the way.
I shared on Facebook this afternoon that God is calling me, "...out of the bud, to take steps, one at a time, so that I will blossom into a woman who reflects her Father's image." The words in the photo above were given to me today to consider. I am holding tightly to this calling, from God, in this moment, to abide. For today, and for tomorrow, and for the next day, I am purposing to follow this calling, out of the bud, taking steps, as He directs, as He calls my name, so that I will continue to blossom. Even when it's hard. Even when it hurts. But also, even when it causes me joy, and to sing, and to dance, because it's the work of my faithful Abba.
Here's to disrupting the familiar, and to blossoming, one obedient step at a time.
Blessings.

