"Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? And if worry can't accomplish a little thing like that, what's the use of worrying over bigger things?
Look at the lilies and how they grow. They don't work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?
And don't be concerned about what to eat and what to drink. Don't worry about such things. These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers all over the world, but your Father already knows your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and he will give you everything you need.
So don't be afraid, little flock. For it gives your Father great happiness to give you the kingdom."
~ Luke 12:25-32
Today, I have been given the gift of rest. Oh, how glad I am for this. How quickly I forget about the intense emotional crash that can come after a spiritually intense week. It was an incredible privilege to serve on staff at TMI (The Salvation Army's Territorial Music Institute). For 10 days, youth from all over the southern states gathered in Texas for 10 days of musical and spiritual instruction. It was an added treat, this year, to have spiritual and musical guests from The Salvation Army in Canada to lead us.
My week was filled with beautiful reunions with dear friends from across the Territory, with whom I've shared the privilege of ministering to budding musicians for the past 5 years. I am so grateful for the friends and family who kept me supported in prayer this week, as this was a week of farewells to dear ones that I may not see again for some time. The Lord so lovingly sustained me throughout the week, weaving in beautiful details to encourage my heart and my faith.
But yesterday was a tough day for me. We gathered together for worship, and just like many of the delegates in that chapel, I was faced with the reality I would return to, this week. There are just 24 sleeps until I begin the move back to Canada. These next few weeks will be filled with laughter, tears, hugs, hugs, more hugs, farewells, and a whole lot of change.
And so, today, after a great deal of physical rest, I woke up with a mind filled with a great deal of unrest. I knew that much of what I would experience today would be the result of the dreaded emotional crash; but I also recognized a great deal of fear. Fear of what the future holds. Fear of changing relationships. Fear of losing relationships altogether. Fear of not being able to emotionally deal with the changes to come.
With tear-stained cheeks, I wrote in my journal, pouring out my heart to God, begging for clarity, pleading for release from the hurt, the mistrust, the fear. It was in that moment that God so faithfully reminded me, through a post on Facebook from Ann Voskamp: "Sometimes we want deeper clarity - when what we need is deeper trust." And in that moment, I remembered the sticky note in my backpack.
I reached into my backpack, and pulled out a sticky note, which was placed in my hands by my dear friend, Major Wendy Morris, yesterday morning, as I knelt at the Mercy Seat, tears streaming down my face, and sobs escaping my throat, the reality of what is to come weighing heavily on my shoulders. The phrase she wrote on that sticky note is so simple, and yet so profound and appropriate, spoken directly from my Father's heart: "DO NOT FEAR!"
After spending time together in prayer, I returned to my seat, and placed the sticky note on my backpack. My good friend, Gwynn Potter, saw that note, and the Holy Spirit reminded her of the Scripture I referenced above, from Luke (also found in Matthew). She brought a particular phrase from that passage to my attention, and it has been imprinted in my mind and on my heart: "So don't be afraid, little flock. For it gives your Father great happiness to give you the kingdom." Talk about incredibly impeccable timing, huh? God is so good.
Today, this sheep is in need of guidance from her Shepherd. This sheep needs to cultivate deeper trust in Him by staying close to His heart, and deeply entrenched in His Word.
Today, though my heart and mind may fear, I shall purpose to trust in my Savior, who is my Provider, my Encourager, my Guide.
Here's to more brave steps forward.
Blessings.
