Ever burst into tears, after a shopping trip? Well, I never thought I would do such a thing; but I felt the hotness of the tears welling up in my eyes, as I attempted to navigate a grocery store I once knew so well. All of a sudden, it was foreign to me.
Where do I find the almond milk? Where do I find tortillas? What kind of salsa is sold here? It wasn't until I walked through the tea aisle and found my favorite tea -lady grey- that I could feel some of the panic subside. Ever hold a box of tea close to your chest, like a security blanket? I never thought I would do such things, until I found myself in that very place, clutching the one shred of familiarity I possessed close to my heart.
I never understood culture shock, and I remembered hearing about the experiences my missionary friends would have, similar to mine, upon returning from overseas. I never thought that I would be able to relate to these experiences; but as I stood in the middle of that grocery store, those experiences appeared to be all-too-familiar to me. All of a sudden, in the middle of the tea aisle, I began to second-guess every capability I possess.
"How am I ever going to adapt to a brand new position?" My mind pondered. "How am I going to do anything, when I can't even get through a grocery store without crying?" I wondered. "Am I going to be okay?" My heart cried out to the Lord, as I sat in my car, sobbing.
Then I remembered: the tea. That shred of familiarity brought me back, as if the Lord was taking me gently on the shoulder. I remembered that I have only been home for less than a week. I remembered that discouragement is not of God, and that I must stamp it out at once.
I remembered that I am capable, because my Heavenly Father is able. More than able.
This season of navigating culture shock is going to take time. Adapting to life in a place that was once familiar, but is not-so-familiar right now, is going to take time. Adapting to a new job with a new company, is going to take time. But I am capable of these things, because my Heavenly Father is "more than able to accomplish what concerns me today."
I am incredibly thankful for those words penned by Rory Noland. Those were the very same words that I sang on my last Sunday in OKC. I had no idea just how much they would impact me during this season of transition.
I am capable, because my Heavenly Father is more than able.
So I hold on right to my Lady Grey Tea, and I hold fast to the promises of my Heavenly Father, as I continue to walk through this season of transition.
Here's to more brave steps forward.
Blessings.

