Women's Auxiliary - March 2016 Meeting
"Kindred Spirits are not so scarce as I used to think. It's so splendid to find out there are so many of them in this world." - Anne of Green Gables
I first met Leona a couple years back, when I was helping to organize and run the Christmas Kettle Program at the Salvation Army in Norman, OK. I came upon her one day in her office, over in the Social Services/Shelter building next door to the corps. I can't quite remember why I had wandered over there, or what I was looking for that morning, but I remember meeting Leona, seeing her sparkling eyes and hearing her joyful laughter. I knew from the moment I met her that we would get along splendidly.
Well, circumstances made my time in Norman short-lived, and I was so sad that I would no longer see and visit with Leona every day. But being apart has made me appreciate the few times that I get to see her, whether it's at an Auxiliary meeting, a staff appreciation meal, or even a staff meeting.
I love the fact that every time I see or speak with Leona, I leave encouraged and strengthened in my faith. Some of that, I'm sure, can be attributed to her bubbly personality, but I know that it runs even deeper, for Leona is a woman who absolutely radiates the love of Jesus.
During today's meeting, I watched her speak about her experiences as a Director of Social Services for TSA, and her eyes danced with delight, as she spoke of how she loves to serve each and every person that walks into her office. And even that love she has is deeper than just a love to serve. She loves to "tell the story of Jesus", to coin that beloved song lyric. Sharing the Gospel with others is priority in her life, and her job flows out of that.
I was so very challenged, today. How much do I get wrapped up in overanalyzing everything I do in ministry, when really, ministry should flow out of my love to tell the story of Jesus? It does not mean that I neglect the planning and intention that goes into ministry, for God grants me the wisdom and the intellect to do so; but should I also be spending time cultivating and preparing the heart He's given me to love others?
In this season, as I continue to "be present" in my ministry in OKC, I pray that I will take time, not just to prepare for events and ministries, but also to cultivate my heart, and grow closer to my Savior.
And even as I pen those words, I think to myself: Funny how this aching wrist has kept me from doing my normal weight-training class this evening, but in a strange and beautiful way, it has allowed me to take time, to reflect, to study, to grow closer to Him.
Leona, thank you for sharing your heart, today, and for speaking truth into my life. I am indebted to you, a true "kindred spirit".
And I know that there are more out there, some that I've met, and perhaps some I've yet to meet. Anne Shirley was quoted in L.M. Montgomery's novel, Anne of Green Gables, speaking often of how glad she was to know that there were so many kindred spirits in the world. 108 years following the publication of L.M.'s first novel, I'm delighted myself to find that there are still so many kindred spirits in this world. God has introduced me to so many, here in Oklahoma, and I look forward to meeting so many more, along this journey.
Blessings.
|