Fun lunch and cherished conversation with a dear one.
Further proof of my need to make and take time!
Further proof of my need to make and take time!
I have discovered the eccentric beauty of Cuppies & Joe,
a quaint little coffee shop in the Paseo District.
Note to Self: Go early in the morning,
when the college students are in class, or in bed! :-)
a quaint little coffee shop in the Paseo District.
Note to Self: Go early in the morning,
when the college students are in class, or in bed! :-)
"It's just so busy."
"Life is just crazy, lately!"
"I wish I had the time..."
Sound familiar? I am so guilty of using these phrases. If I'm honest, I will sometimes use phrases like these as a way of getting around the fact that I forgot to do something, or just plain didn't take the time, or make the time to do something.
It's funny how a major shift in your life's journey can cause you to start making and taking time to do things, and to connect with people. Now that I am preparing to move back to Canada in a few months, in the midst of my "remaining present" with my job and ministry, I am making lists. Crazy lists. Lists of places I want to visit. Places I want to eat. People I want to see.
Yesterday, I made time to visit with my friend Amber. Amber was one of the first people I met when I moved to OKC back in 2011. I remember sitting in her office at DHQ (Divisional Headquarters of The Salvation Army, for my non Army-acronym savvy friends!), when she was Director of HR, navigating my new job, and the details of my R-1 Visa, and just plain adjusting to life in the South. Amber was a person whose soul connected with mine instantly. We shared so many stories, laughs, tears, and an abundance of hugs.
When we sat down to lunch yesterday, we realized that it had been roughly three years since we last saw each other face-to-face. Amber lives about 30 minutes outside the city, but she also works in OKC.
3 years. 3 years.
As I was getting ready for bed last night, that phrase kept spinning in my head. I've started making these lists of places I want to see, people I want to spend last moments with, and being the overly analytical lady that I am, I couldn't help but think, "Why on earth am I just now making the time to do these things? Why have I not been doing this over the past four years?"
I try not to beat myself up over this, because it's in the past, and I can't change what's in the past. But I can change what I do now. My time in OKC is now limited to five months...but it's not too late. I can still make and take time. It will require a fierce battle against my inner-procrastinator to complete some of the tasks on my list; but I know that part of my "finishing well" will involve making and taking time for the people in my life that have played significant roles in my learning, living and growing in OKC.
It amazes me how much my thinking about time has changed in the past year. When I first moved here, a bright-eyed-with-wonder-scared-to-death Canadian girl, I couldn't get to work fast enough. And along the way, I made meaningful and precious friendships with people, and in many instances, I took the time to cultivate them; but often times, I was still "too busy". But as I start to look toward moving home, while I realize that I will need to acquire a job to pay bills, I also look with great anticipation to making and taking time for things like sitting on the patio of my parents' house, Bible and coffee in hand, watching the sunrise over the water, and connecting with my Savior. Things like sitting in my friend Amy's kitchen, cradling her newborn baby, watching her son play, drinking coffee, nibbling on homemade muffins that she will swear are not quite right, but that I will savor -simply because she made them- while we talk about everything frivolous and everything profound. Things like walking along the beach with my nieces, running and playing in the water (provided we don't go numb from the waist down), hearing their sparkling laughter and bubbling chatter, hugging them and kissing their red little cheeks every chance I get. There are so many "things likes" that come to mind, and more than I can list. And my heart dances at the thought.
But for the moment, during my last months here in Oklahoma, I am praying that God will help me to make and take time. Time with Him. Time with my dearly-loved Okie friends and adopted family.
For a self-proclaimed procrastinator like me, this takes work. But I so want to do it. So much.
So, I will share a bit of my list, a bit at a time, and challenge myself to do those things...
MY ARKIE-OKIE BUCKET LIST (because this is my beloved A-OK!)
1. Go see a movie at the Warren Theatre. In the Director's Suite (Excitingly, that one is in the works, thanks to a dear one!)
2. The Ozarks of Arkansas. I simply must see them again. And maybe even hike some of that area. :-)
3. Visit Pops. Even if I can't drink the soda, I can at least enjoy a meal around the table with someone! :-)
4. Explore some of Route 66. Because, seriously, how can I not??
5. The OKC Memorial. I first visited it with friends Anna and Rachel, back when I was on Conservatory Staff at camp. I need to revisit this place again.
6. Ride the Gondola in Bricktown. Because it's fun. :-)
7. See at least ONE Shakespeare in the Park show during the summer in Downtown OKC. I've talked about doing this for four years, and I still haven't done it. Unacceptable.
8. Hot Springs, Arkansas. It feels like driving to the end of the earth to get there, but it's beautiful, and some of my favorite people live there. :-)
9. Especially for the Morris Family: that little Japanese restaurant by DHQ. We've talked about going there since you guys discovered it. Let's do it. :-)
10. Coffee Dates. In eccentric little coffee places like Cuppies & Joe, or Coffee Slingers. I'll even take Starbucks or Dunkin. But my love language is coffee, and time spent in conversations about anything and everything, around the table.
11. A pedicure at Angel Nail on Northwest Expressway. My friend knows exactly who she is, and because she took my for my first one, we simply need to revisit it! :-)
12. Sunsets at Lake Hefner. I don't think any more explanation is needed. My Abba is a fantastic artist. :-)
13. Major Deanna, I'm taking you up on the offer you once made on Facebook that involves two good friends and a full tank of gas. :-)
14. As many cups of tea as I can share with Angela Morris. Period. :-)
15. As many snuggles with our beautiful Citadel babies as possible. :-)
16. As many hugs as my "kids" from around the Division and Territory can tolerate. :-)
17. Beautiful moments spent in worship with my Citadel Family. These will happen, and I will cherish them all.
18. Quality time. As much as we can spend together.
Oh, there are so many more. And I will write of more as I think of them. And there will be more.
Here's to making and taking time. Let's do it.
Blessings.


