"Come, thou long-expected Jesus,
Born to set thy people free.
Born to set thy people free.
From our fears and sins, release us,
Let us find our rest in thee.
Israel's strength and consolation,
Hope of all the earth, thou art.
Dear desire of every nation,
Joy of every longing heart."
How is it, that we are already entering the season of Advent? As of two days ago, I have been home for three months. Three. Months. Staggering to imagine this.
I must confess something to you, my friends. I have done the very thing that Charlie Brown warned us we would do. For a brief moment, I have made Christmas too commercial. I've made it too much about gifts. I've made it too much about the tasty food we will eat. I've made it too much about what days I should try to take off over the holidays. But this morning, as I sat with my nieces, watching the beloved Christmas special we all know and love, as Linus took the stage and recited the Scripture that we all repeated verbatim as children, my heart was convicted. I held my sweet girls a little closer, as we witnessed what Christmas was always meant to be about: the coming of Christ, in the form of a baby.
Come, thou long-expected Jesus...
As I was getting ready for work, I found a video from Ann Voskamp, one of my newfound favorite authors. She was talking about the first week of advent, marked today, with the lighting of the candle of hope. Our hope. As I listened to her message, that in the midst of our mess, there is hope...
"A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse;
from his roots a Branch will bear fruit.
The Spirit of the Lord will rest on him--
the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding,
the Spirit of counsel and of might,
the Spirit of the knowledge and fear of the Lord--
and he will delight in the fear of the Lord." Isaiah 11:1-3
I sat and I wept, for the first time in a little while. How could I have allowed Christ to be taken out of the equation, when it comes to Christmas? How could I allow Him to be replaced by gifts, and food, and holidays?
No, I must invite Him in. I don't want to go through this season, to wake up Christmas morning, having missed the very reason that we celebrate this blessed time: the Hope that came to a manger, cradled in a woman's arms, His cries piercing the quiet of the night, the Hope that would set His people free.
No, I purpose to invite Him in. I purpose to hold this Hope close to my heart, as I enter in to this season of Advent. Yes, I will give gifts. Yes, I will enjoy food and laughter and joyful moments with my family and with my friends. But oh, Father, do not let me forget You in the midst of everything.
Come, thou long-expected Jesus...
Born to set thy people free...
From our fears and sins, release us...
Let us find our rest in Thee...
He is our Hope. Don't forget Him, this season of Advent. Invite Christ into your homes, into your hearts, into your lives, this Christmas. I promise to do the same.
Blessings.

